Aug 23, 2009

A Divine Encounter

A few days back, standing in a line at the passport office, waiting for my turn to get an ECNR stamp on my passport, I became a believer in god and a babu-fearing mere mortal. The lady at the counter seemed no less than an avatar of a goddess , a force which could give me moksh in the form of a stamp. This was my first visit to this shrine (passport office). I was warned that it was impossible to please the goddess with just one offering and that I would have to visit many times before she would even look at my documents. Still I was optimistic, miracles do happen in real life. I was happy that after standing there for 3 hours (7.30 to 10.30 - when the shrine actually opens) finally I could get darshan. I saw the queue in front moving fast. But as I was approaching the counter I realized that the goddess is in no mood to grant wishes today. She was rejecting the forms with the speed of lightning. My happiness gave way to nervousness and fear. I had taken an off from work, got up at 5.30 and travelled in a local train to reach the shrine. Earlier I was confident about my meticulousness, but now I was afraid that I may have missed out on some document. Finally it was my turn to give my form. My hands were shaking and I was sweating. With a lot of difficulty I took out the papers from my file and offered them to the goddess. I had missed out a few details on my application, which very politely (surprisingly) she asked me to fill in. I regained my positive thinking... but alas ! it was to last for less than 10 secs, because, one fleeting glance at my documents and she told me that "you don't have the Xth class passing certificate". I was crest fallen. I told her that I have all the mark-sheets from Xth till PG to prove that I am an educated Xth pass female. But she would have none of it. My humble offerings just didn't seemed to appease to her holiness. My mind became numb, still I gathered some strength, but no, I could not garner the courage to question her for the fear of offending her. I simply collected my documents, stepped away from the window and tried hopelessly to pull myself together. I called my friend who was waiting outside to give him the bad news. Hearing my almost sobbing voice, he forgot his pain (he too got up early and took off from work) and consoled me "don't worry, we will come better prepared next time. Before the next visit to the shrine pray to god every morning and fast on Mon,Wed and Fri..."

I hope my penance will bear the fruit & I shall one day see an ECNR stamp on my passport....but alas! when will that day come!!!

5 Comments:

Khamir Purohit said...

haha..well narrated!

Most of us have this divine experience sometime or the other; some people get away by using the services of more seasoned darsharnarthis (AGENTS) who know what exactly can be offered to appease the goddess.
Just a few days back I had been there to get my dads passport renewed..of course then I went again, and yea again...

Unknown said...

I was lucky, got my passport made when I just turned 18. But, I have also been to this divine place called “PASSPORT OFFICE”. I went there taking my brother’s application. But as Elisabeth said, it’s never over until u go there at least twice or sometimes even more. I went there twice but couldn’t get my turn until the window closed. Fortunately I got a token the third day and had Darshan of his holiness, sitting behind a counter chewing paan. But that was not the end of it, he wanted to see my brother even when I showed a letter stating he is my BROTHER, and I am authorized by him to travel from Gurgaon to Delhi, stand in those lines for hours to get a token & file in the application. But it was perhaps my bad luck to please the old bald man. I think I should have taken a nice banarsi paan for him. So it was day 4, me & my brother went there, got the token (Fortunately). Got our turn on time & it was all done, that too before time!!! So finally I got over it, and then it was my father’s turn to apply for the passport. Since then I have been so traumatized by the experience that I have never been to that “PASSPORT OFFICE” again…

Supratim's Blog said...

The human mind, expressions,thoughts, verdicts and words (be it hand written or typed) if linked with utmost perfection can bring out the best narration. That's the kind of symmetry your writings depict.

I will love to read more from here on. Good going lady.

Aniche said...

When is the final prasadam due from the latest divine encounter?

gargi said...

well no its not shrine!! they are sarkari demons so use shashtr of RTI,lodge official complaint n next time they do the same, speak to RPO mr. choubey! He seems to be the only sensible person in entire mumbai passport office.